Metal food and beverage cans are recyclable and can be placed in your curbside recycling container.

You can also recycle aerosol cans, as long as they do not contain hazardous materials. Whipped cream, shaving cream, hair spray, and sunscreen containers are among the items that are recyclable, but make sure the canisters are completely empty before placing them in your recycling container. Hazardous aerosols, like WD40, for example, should not be placed in your recycling container even if you think the canister is empty. Those items should be taken to an MMWA Household Hazardous Waste collection event.

Empty paint cans should be placed out with your trash, not placed in your recycling bin. If the can still contains latex paint, you can dry up the contents by removing the lid and placing the can in a well-ventilated area until dry. This method works best for cans with less than two inches of paint. You can also mix paint with an absorbent, such as shredded paper, cat litter, or any product intended to solidify or clean up oil spills. Allow the contents to completely dry then place in your regular trash. Do not place cans in your recycling bin or can.

Oil-based paint and stain will not dry up using this method but can be disposed of via MMWA’s household special waste collection program, along with other paint products like spray paint and latex paint.

Call our office at (989) 781-9555 or check under events for the latest special waste drop off dates.

When in doubt, throw it out!

If your question is related to what kind of TRASH, RECYCLING or YARD WASTE can you can use at the curb, please contact Mid Michigan Waste Authority at (989) 781-9555.