Additional resources for solid waste disposal or recycling

American Flags

When an American flag becomes soiled, faded and tattered, it should be destroyed, preferably by burning, according to the United States Flag Code.  Flags should not be disposed of in trash or recycling.

Veterans of Foreign Wars (VFW) directions for proper flag disposal include folding the flag in its customary manner, and placing it in a fire large enough to ensure complete burning of the flag.  Individuals can come to attention, salute the flag, recite the Pledge of Allegiance and have a brief period of silent reflection. After the fire is completely consumed, the fire should be safely extinguished and ashes buried.

Nylon flags should not be burned, as they will produce toxic gases.  Please follow local fire codes and ordinances. Most American Legion and VFW posts will accept worn flags from the public for retirement and disposal.

For more information on US flag disposal etiquette, visit:


Consumers Energy offers an appliance recycling program that includes cash rebates and curbside pickup for certain working appliances. Visit the Consumers Energy Appliance Recycling Rebates website for more details.


Check with your local law enforcement department for proper disposal information.

Building materials and other household items

Habitat for Humanity ReStore Saginaw
315 W. Holland Avenue
Saginaw, MI 48601
(989) 754-9435

Please contact the store directly to learn more about what items are currently being accepted, and how they may be donated.

Cell Phones

Many manufacturers, retailers such as Ace Hardware, Best Buy, Home Depot, Lowe’s, Office Depot, and Staples, and charities collect cell phones. Go to www.earth911.org or www.call2recycle.org and type in your ZIP code for locations near you.

CFL and LED Lightbulbs

Many home improvement stores, like Home Depot, Ikea, Lowe’s, and some Ace Hardware stores, have recycling programs for CFL (compact fluorescent lamp) and LED (light emitting diode) bulbs. Please check with your local store to confirm recycling opportunities.


A medication disposal program is offered through the Saginaw County Health Department for Saginaw County residents. Under the free program, both prescription and non-prescription unwanted/leftover medications can be dropped at any of 11 different law enforcement locations across the county for safe disposal, as well as at the SCHD. Items can be dropped off at these locations during normal business hours; please call for hours of operation and directions:

  • Buena Vista Police Department
    (989) 754-6536
  • Delta College Police Department
    (989) 686-9113
  • Frankenmuth Police Department
    (989) 652-8371
  • Richland Township Police Department
    (989) 642-2097
  • Saginaw City Police Department
    (989) 759-1288
  • Saginaw County Health Department
    (989) 758-3683
  • Saginaw County Sheriff’s Office
    (989) 790-5456
  • Saginaw Township Police Department
    989) 793-2310
  • Saginaw Valley State University Police Department
    (989) 964-4141
  • St. Charles Police Department
    (989) 865-8287
  • Thomas Township Police Department
    (989) 781-1300
  • Tittabawassee Township Police Department
    (989) 695-9623

For more information about this program, contact the health department at (989) 758-3686.

Plastic Bags

You cannot put plastic bags in your curbside recycling bin, but there are many big box retailers and local grocery stores that have plastic bag recycling programs. The bins are typically located at the front of the store. Please visit http://www.plasticfilmrecycling.org/s01/s01dropoff.html for a drop-off directory.

Scrap Iron and Metal

Scrap metal items of any size should not go into your curbside bin. These items cause excessive damage to the recycling equipment. Please contact a local scrap yard about these items.

Rifkin Steel & Aluminum Company

1011 N Washington (new location as of December 2018)
Saginaw, MI 48601
(989) 752-2158


Sharps/needles can be disposed of with curbside trash collection by placing them in a detergent or bleach bottle. Securely close the cap and plainly write “SHARPS” on the container.


Tires cannot be collected as curbside trash, but you can dispose of them responsibly thanks to the Saginaw County Mosquito Abatement Commission. The SCMAC holds tire drives each summer that are open to Saginaw County residents (not businesses). Rims must be removed from tires, and only tires from cars, trucks, motorcycles, and bikes will be accepted. SCMAC does not accept semi, tractor, or heavy equipment tires.

For more information, call SCMAC at (989) 755-5751 or visit http://www.scmac.org/tires.htm

Disclaimer: The listings on this website do not constitute an endorsement by Mid Michigan Waste Authority. The information provided is not all-inclusive and is subject to change without notice.