hazardous materials

…Do not place hazardous waste in your household trash or recycling containers. Hazardous and toxic materials should be dropped off at one of MMWA’s Household Hazardous Waste events. Each…

household batteries

Alkaline batteries may be placed in your curbside trash (not recycling bin).

Rechargeable, lithium, and lead acid batteries (typically from cars, motorcycles, boats, golf carts, lawn mowers, etc) should not go into your trash or recycling container, and can be dropped off at one of MMWA’s Household Hazardous Waste events.  The program runs from May through September and is free to residents of Saginaw County, Bethany Township, Village of Breckenridge, and Wheeler Township. The events cannot accept waste from businesses, farms, schools, or non-profit organizations. Please call the MMWA office at (989) 781-9555 for dates and details or check under events for the latest information.

Some home improvement stores and battery stores will accept rechargeable batteries for recycling – please call ahead to confirm.

aerosol can

…even if you think the canister is empty. Those items should be taken to a MMWA Household Hazardous Waste collection event. Each year, Mid Michigan Waste Authority coordinates special drop-off…


Vehicle Parts:
The MMWA curbside solid waste collection program is intended for the disposal of residential household trash. Car parts are not included in the program, and should not be placed at the curb for collection. The program will also not accept any recreational vehicles, including motorcycles, jet skis, ATVs, snowmobiles, and boats, or any parts from these vehicles. Many of the items not allowed in the curbside program can be brought to the landfill and disposed of for a fee. There is one operating landfill in Saginaw County. Please call ahead for verification of material acceptance, disposal charges and hours of operation.
People’s Landfill
4143 E Rathburn Rd
Birch Run (Taymouth Twp)
(989) 777-1145

You may not place tires out with your curbside trash; however, Saginaw County Mosquito Abatement hosts multiple one-day tire collections for Saginaw County residents each summer. The events are held at various locations around the county to make it as convenient as possible. Proof of residency is required. The following drop-off rules apply:
– 10 tires per property owner, per year
– No tires on rims
– No businesses or other revenue generating enterprises – includes agriculture and contracting operations
– Car, truck, motorcycle, bike, and small household tires ONLY
– SCMAC does NOT accept Semi, Tractor, or Heavy Equipment Tires.
For more information on dates and locations, call the Saginaw County Mosquito Abatement Commission, 989-755-5751, or visit www.scmac.org/Tires.htm

Used motor oil:
If motor oil bottles are completely empty, they may be disposed of in the trash. Do not place them in your recycling container. Leftover motor oil is considered a hazardous waste and cannot be placed at the curb as trash. Motor oil can be dropped off at one of MMWA’s Household Hazardous Waste events. There are no other hazardous waste disposal programs offered in Saginaw County. Call our office at (989) 781-9555 or check under events for the latest drop off dates.



Metal food and beverage cans are recyclable and can be placed in your curbside recycling container.

You can also recycle aerosol cans, as long as they do not contain hazardous materials. Whipped cream, shaving cream, hair spray, and sunscreen containers are among the items that are recyclable, but make sure the canisters are completely empty before placing them in your recycling container. Hazardous aerosols, like WD40, for example, should not be placed in your recycling container even if you think the canister is empty. Those items should be taken to an MMWA Household Hazardous Waste collection event.

Empty paint cans should be placed out with your trash, not placed in your recycling bin. If the can still contains latex paint, you can dry up the contents by removing the lid and placing the can in a well-ventilated area until dry. This method works best for cans with less than two inches of paint. You can also mix paint with an absorbent, such as shredded paper, cat litter, or any product intended to solidify or clean up oil spills. Allow the contents to completely dry then place in your regular trash. Do not place cans in your recycling bin or can.

Oil-based paint and stain will not dry up using this method but can be disposed of via MMWA’s household special waste collection program, along with other paint products like spray paint and latex paint.

Call our office at (989) 781-9555 or check under events for the latest special waste drop off dates.

When in doubt, throw it out!

If your question is related to what kind of TRASH, RECYCLING or YARD WASTE can you can use at the curb, please contact Mid Michigan Waste Authority at (989) 781-9555.

human waste

If collection workers observe uncontained human or animal waste in any curbside trash or recycling container, the can/bag/bin will not be emptied. Any bags that rip or tear will also be left at the curb. This is both unsanitary and unsafe, violates state law, and creates hazardous conditions for the collection service workers.

gas can

Do not place gas cans out with curbside trash unless they are completely empty and have been crushed. Once the can is crushed, it is safe for the collection worker to place it in the trash truck. Crushing the can eliminates the risk of explosion when the materials in the truck are compacted. Do not place the cans in your recycling container.

Gas cans containing even a trace of gasoline should be taken to an MMWA Household Hazardous Waste event. Please hold onto all hazardous waste materials until the MMWA household special waste drop-off season, as there are no other paint and hazardous waste disposal programs offered in Saginaw County. Call our office at (989) 781-9555 or check under events for the latest drop off dates.


Yard Waste

…Yard Waste Fourteen MMWA member communities receive yard waste services: Village of Birch Run, Bridgeport Twp, Buena Vista Twp, Carrollton Twp, City of Frankenmuth, James Twp, Kochville Twp, City…

household items

Many residents contact us about recycling items like clock radios, lamps, vacuum cleaners, and microwaves. Household items with a cord should never be put in your recycling container, as they are not an accepted item in our curbside program. And please note that our electronics recycling program is intended only for computer-related items like monitors, printers and hard drives, plus televisions, DVD players, and VCRs.

So, what should you do with a broken toaster? You have two options. Place the item in a trash can or bag and place it to the curb on your regular trash day. Make sure the bag or can does not weigh more than 50 pounds. You may also set the item next to your trash cans/bags as one of the two bulky items each household is allowed per week. We highly recommend that you bag smaller items so you can save the bulky service for your larger items, like furniture or refrigerators. The same process applies to things like mops, luggage, kids’ toys, clothing hampers, etc.